(Proceedings for this Meeting were published in 1970.)
The 9th meeting of the PIAC was held at Ravello, near Naples, from 26th to 30th September 1966. The realisation of this meeting was made possible thanks to the financial contribution of the Italian Ministry of Education and the Istituto Universitario Orientale.
The meeting was arranged and organised by Prof. Dr. A. Bombaci, who presided, and the permanent General Secretary, Prof. Dr. D. Sinor.
The following persons attended the meeting:
- Prof. Dr. Andras Bodrogligeti Budapest
- Prof. Dr. Alessio Bombaci Napoli
- Prof. Dr. J. A. Boyle Manchester
- Dr. J. G. Coates Cambridge
- Prof. Dr. Namio Egami Osaka
- Prof. Dr. Ismail Eren Istanbul
- Mrs. Emel Esin Istanbul
- Prof. Dr. Walter Fuchs Köln
- Prof. Dr. Tourkhan Gandjeï London
- Prof. Dr. Georg Hazai Budapest
- Prof. Dr. Karl Jahn Leiden
- Prof. Aulis J. Joki Helsinki
- Dr. G. Kara Budapest
- Prof. Dr. Owen Lattimore Leeds
- Mr. Hiu Lie Göttingen
- Dr. J. Matuz Freiburg
- Prof. Dr. Iben Raphael Meyer København
- Prof. Dr. Shichiro Murayama Bochum
- Prof. Dr. V. M. Nassilov Moskva
- Mr. Ane Hendrik Nauta Leiden
- Prof. Dr. Bahaeddin Ögel Ankara
- Mr. Yong-hun Park Göttingen
- Dr. Pavel Poucha Praha
- Prof. Dr. Omeljan Pritsak Cambridge, Mass.
- Prof. Dr. Edgem Rachimovič Tenišev Moskva
- Prof. Dr. Martti Räsänen Helsinki
- Prof. Dr. Edmond Schütz Budapest
- Prof. Dr. Denis Sinor Bloomington, Ind.
- Prof. Semih Tezcan Göttingen
- Prof. Dr. Zeki Velidi Togan Istanbul
- Prof. Dr. Edward Tryjarski Warszawa
- Prof. Dr. Nobuo Yamada Osaka
- Prof. Dr. Ananiasz Zajączkowski Warszawa
The official welcome was given during the opening session, held in the afternoon, on Monday 26th September, in the Church of San Giovanni in Toro, recently restored but not yet consecrated, placed at the disposition of the meeting by Mon-signor Angelo Raimondo Verardo, Apostolical Administrator of the Amalfi Archidiocese.
In the evening informal after-dinner talks gave full opportunity of exchanging views. On Wednesday 28th there was an excursion to Amalfi and Positano.
From September the 27th to the 30th the sessions took place, daily from 8,30 a.m. to 1 p.m., and from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. During the sessions a series of papers were read and discussed on and about the theme «Ancient Mongol and Turkish titles».
On the final session, held Friday 30th, the invitation of Prof. Andrew Boyle, to hold the following PIAC conference in Manchester, was gratefully accepted. After some discussion and the taking of the vote it was decided to take as the central theme for this next meeting «Feudalism in the Altaic World».
The 1966 Indiana University Prize for Altaic Studies was awarded to Prof. Gyula Németh.
On behalf of all participants, the Secretary-General finally expressed his thanks to the organizers and their assistants.
Resolution Passed at the IXth Meeting
Permanent International Altaistic Conference
The following resolution was passed unanimously by the members assembled in the IXth Session of the PIAC:
«The Conference wishes to place on record its deep sense of indebtedness and gratitude to the Istituto Universitario Orientale of Naples, to Prof. Dr. A. Bombaci, Dr. C. Sarnelli Cerqua and their helpers for the infinite pains they have taken to make their guests happy and comfortable in surroundings of which the great natural beauty was matched and indeed surpassed by the kindness and warmth of their hospitality».